nothing could aptly describe. no one can rightly challenge. no soul could seemly defy. welcome to my world. where i make the rules and you stick by them.

About Me

Standing by, All the way. Here to help you through your day. Holding you up, When you are weak, Helping you find what it is you seek. Catching your tears, When you cry. Pulling you through when the tide is high. Absorbing your voice When you talk. Standing by when you learn to walk. Just being there, Through thick and thin, All just to say, you are my friend.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Non Mihi Solum

Valentine's day passed sometime ago. I was at city hall. Had a dinner there and went to chijmes. Took a brisk walk.
My mum's birthday just passed. I took her , my dad and my uncle to a seafood restaurant in AngMokio and celebrate her birthday with a sumptious meal. I am supposed to be sleeping or preparing to go to school right now. But I had fallen asleep at the wrong time in the night, hence I am quite awake now.
Interestingly that I should like an Ajcian. I had plenty of friends while I was in the army, had plenty of time to know some of them better. The girls of course. But strangely I took no fancy to any of them. SOon to be a year since I met her.
Maybe I have high expectations. Maybe it is just fate. Of course to like someone, you need to like the looks and the character. And of course both need to be compatible in many other ways. Complementary.
I am quite happy to find out that for physiology, only the topics taught in this sem will be tested. WHich means my load is reduced. Hopefully I can push all my grades up to an A before the final pros. If not, it will be quite tedious for me trying to slough it out towards the end.
I need to remember to return veron's bike. Interestingly, last last new year, me, veron and Lijuan followed a whole group of uncles and aunties to a temple in the wee hours of the morning to wish for blessings. On new year's day itself. To note, I realised we had made a wish each, and none was fulfilled.
This year, I prayed to the single most powerful entity in the universe. Myself. Think my wishes are going to be granted this time. Either that I think at least by next year April. SMug.
This forthcoming hols, I might be spending a few hours poring through buddhist scriptures. I find them most interesting. Just as I did with the bible a few years ago.
Let me give an account of the innumerous rules I have broken or times I screwed up or times I screwed others up. Beginning in BMT. Life was peaceful, and I was pretty much an exemplary soldier. That was until I got sick of the place. Made plenty of scholarship applications. So many chances to book out( and since I was quite a fav with the superiors, I had little difficulty getting out of tekong), I started to extend my bookout time with Medical certs. Usually I don't fell like getting back to camp on mondays.
Then sometimes after scholarship interviews, I would wander about in orchard or get a friend I just know from the interview to go to the movies. Then scramble back to camp at the last minute. I can recall with reminiscence my ST interview where I had gone into the room, not really caring much. And the question came, which part of our company would you like to work in? I looked around and saw an aircraft model, so I replied aeronautical studies is something I am interested in. Wrong answer and she said there is a seperate interview for that. Byebye. nevermind, I earned myself another chance to book out.
I told them at the next interview I wanted to build a flying car. Impressive huh? Out I go. Same attitude for my DSTA interview. I am not a fan of the government nor the army. JUst the money actually. Sat down and was quite intrigue by the sweet looking interviewer in front of me, almost salivated and words were slurped as I tried to answer their questions.
One day, when I had too much time on hand, I went to another room at night. There I took out the shoelaces of the boots of this sabo-king 2( the biggest time sabo king was in my room.) , and left him on his own . I still remain amused when the next day he woke up and rushed down to revely(morning call) frantically looking for his shoelaces.
Once I forgot to return a part of my rifle. Not exactly an important part. Just the bayonet. No one checked me as I was in charge of the armskot(armoury) and the last to leave.
Once I littered during a field camp. It was in the evening and I thought I saw shadows of wild boars approaching. There were claims that the wild boars would attack whole platoons so I told my friend what I saw. He screamed and alerted the whole camp, we were in the jungle then. Everyone panicked and the officers came over. I sneaked away quietly once I realised the shadows were that of puppies and wild dogs.
When I was assigned to being a medic, a post I had somehow managed to request( you just need to talk the right things to the right people), things got better.
I created a fake camp pass when mine was stunned by the sergeants. Fooled the guards. I photocopied an original from my friend and slotted it into a colored cardholder, with a solid transitlink card behind. It looks real I assure you.
ANother time I was lazy to get past the guards, because I was a visitor then, and the rules require I change my identity card for a pass. I was too lazy. So I saw a door beside the guardroom which leads into the camp, that door was used by the guards while changing duties. So I happily entered through it. On several occasions I had left through it as well, not bothering to leave by the main gate as the distance is longer.
I like the days of being a TSS. Some temporary personnel, made some real great friends there.
WHen I was at my unit, once an exercise was shortened. Most probably everyone else couldnt stand being out in the jungle for more than 3 days. So it was cut from 5 to 3 days. I did not return to medical centre and happily stayed at home. COuld be a case of away without official leave.
Of course that was the initial stages where my responsibilities were not great. Gradually I became( as my boss use to say) the pillar of the medical centre. I could perform quite a lot of the procedures with much proficiency, as well as handling the clerical work. And being combat fit, they could always send me out there to the battlefield!
I did an excellent job of moonlighting. Someone pointed out that I might be earning more than the regulars around( those that work full time in the army). Of course I might be. But I was also covering up for my Medical officer who was moonlighting as well. He had asked me not to say anything about it then.
Of course, I did plenty of good work also. Always seems to be there when trouble arose. Convinced a raving recruit not to commit suicide and I put out a fire. And do not forget the flood. There were times when I snuck out of camp for my tuition but nothing seems to happen on those nights. How I miss the army at times.
If anything, I wonder why do people make such a big issue out of the guy who skipped army and returned back to singapore after many years. Melvin tan is his name isn't it? I think it is a horrible mentality if Singaporeans wanted him to be severely punished because they are vindictive. Because they felt they had suffered in the army and hence everyone else should. It is not hence the incident I am against but more of the mindset of people. A lot of arguments are based on the guys wasting two and half years in the army while their female counterparts begin tertiary education and a smooth transition into their careers.
The time in army is yours and it is up to you to decide whether it is productive or not. The act of escaping is wrong I admit. However I dont think much of those accusatory tones either. Some crying for prolonged jail sentences and the rebuke of his citizenship, all because some bunch of us 'made no good' out their NS life.
It is the braying that disconcerts me. and of course that incident is long over. Nowadays they like to talk about Tammy right? Interesting lives those poly people have. I don't like to judge an incident. No right or wrong because for something that has happened, to comment is useless. Perhaps damage control and support is what is really needed when things go wrong. If she abandons her wayward life style, all the best, but the stigma most probably will be around for some time. we are just too conservative and stick in the mud currently to endorse her behaviour.
Society is evolving and morals are changing. NEw regulations are introduced to this societal game every generation. Ideas from the west and east and many other places. To look at it from a scientific point of view, she did what was pleasurable and the act was construed from mutual agreement and a certain set of rules governing her relationship with her boyfriend. nothing wrong. Just bad luck. You can never be too careful of a backstabber nowadays.
Sleepy. Shall end.

No comments: