nothing could aptly describe. no one can rightly challenge. no soul could seemly defy. welcome to my world. where i make the rules and you stick by them.

About Me

Standing by, All the way. Here to help you through your day. Holding you up, When you are weak, Helping you find what it is you seek. Catching your tears, When you cry. Pulling you through when the tide is high. Absorbing your voice When you talk. Standing by when you learn to walk. Just being there, Through thick and thin, All just to say, you are my friend.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Medicine is a privilege.

Someone told me in China that Medicine is a privilege. That being admitted to the faculty and administered the right the pursue this ancient art and modern science is a privilege. It struck a cord with me definitely. Then just two days ago, a friend who got admitted into medicine only after his second attempt let it be known that he felt other less capable were chosen ahead of him during his rejected try. Some within the faculty itself feels that there are others unworthy of this destiny amongst us. Sometimes I wonder too.
How can we tell a person's worth by his appearance? AS so often many do. I had the fortune to realise that beneath every non chalent and nondescript showing, there is actually a talented and highly intelligent being....at least most of those I met in medicine. So I would disagree with those who feel that their places in medicine have been ousted from them by lesser people.
So, the rich get admitted? and only the truly capable poor are considered? it may seem so when almost 1 out of 3 drives and appear to have a powerful or affluent background. sons and daughters of ministers and doctors and megarich businessmen/aeroplane builders/famous litigators and so on. It would be too easy to jump to conclusion that medicine is an exclusive fraternity.
However, one must note the number of rich and famous getting rejected as well. Top surgeons in Mount elizabeth, their son did not manage to secure a place in NUS and continue their good work. Chairpersons of medical boards, presidents of multinational business and the likes, their lineage found themselves wanting in the prospects of admission. Then there are the common people around. Not everyone has a MErcedes to to chaffeur around on campus when simple walking or catching the internal shuttle would suffice. though I know one who does have such an entourage. Then there is the accusation of smugness, or immature thinking. Perhaps there is no need for pretence in a place full of friends. Some just exudes confidence, unaware that there might be a handful uncomfortable with this strong showing of belief. Because alot of us are confident people.
Not of just completing what is required of us, but to excel. and to excel so totally. What is wrong with a little bit of confidence? I would really say that those who are in deserve their places while those who just narrowly missed the train, that is life. In life, there will be ranking, there will be competition. So if the exam questions are the same, what you get really is what you are. Of course I must say that those who do not get into medicine, some do really have quality. It just happens for that particular challenge, they came up short.
Another thought. I hear alot of complaints going around. People like to complain about some guy who does not have to serve the army. people like to complain about not having enough money. about trainings that are tough. about not having dates or flowers for valentine. about lousy tutors( i find that particular irritating.). about the infidelity of guys. about insensitive or anti-conventional bloggers. about all sort of things. And I cannot stand all these whining! So I shall address each of these issue careful sometime on!
I myself do moan about one matter though. A consipiracy thoery, that buses always take their own sweet time when I am rushing for my life. It is not even own sweet time, it is taking a bloody long time! How many times have I been extremely late because a bus that normal arrives at 15 min interval turns up only after 30 mins? I hear a kettle... no.. that is just my blood boiling....
Yah how interesting can one's begrudging get.

1 comment:

vrillybaby said...

Hey, I love your thoughts, you never cease to make me wonder.. and all...miss all the times you were joking with us thru physics and bio tut as our TEACHER (gahwhoa).

Avril