nothing could aptly describe. no one can rightly challenge. no soul could seemly defy. welcome to my world. where i make the rules and you stick by them.

About Me

Standing by, All the way. Here to help you through your day. Holding you up, When you are weak, Helping you find what it is you seek. Catching your tears, When you cry. Pulling you through when the tide is high. Absorbing your voice When you talk. Standing by when you learn to walk. Just being there, Through thick and thin, All just to say, you are my friend.

Friday, May 20, 2005

The day 1305 touched my heart

Today I learnt a very important lesson. Far more important than any Biology topics I have every learnt. It was a lesson on the cardiac cycle and brain circuit. Not in the anatomical or scientific sense. BUt In a manner most profound and philosophical.
In chronological order, the sequence of events:
1 friday many weeks ago, class 1305's bio teacher had to go for a 1-day seminar. I went to their class to stand in for the tutorial. I had prepared scarcely for the lesson. Even the answer scheme was not with me. I guess the class were pretty unimpressed with me. They were quiet bunch, and that impression was left upon me as I left the class.
Another friday 2 weeks later, I went to the same class. I began to recognise some of them. Not by names but at least by faces. I thought they were hardworking. To me, I had always thought that some mischief is essential in the scheme of things. Conscientiousness was hardly a virtue I can boast about. To sum it,the class and I were quite different entities.
This week: 2 tutorials and 1 practical.I prepared for the lessons. I read up and I made sure the answers I provide the class is adequate. Made sure the answers were suited for BIOLOGY. And not merely A'level examinations. I had more confidence and had more to offer to the class. They received it well. Perhaps I did change abit of their opinion of me after all. With confidence, explanations were clearer, discussions were smoother. Like begets like. During practical, they had invited me to attend a celebration their class organised. I thought it was for ELvin and Mr Tan SL. I did not give too much thought to it except for feeling grateful they invited me.

Today afternoon: 3pm. 21st May 2005. I arrived outside the classroom they told me to go to. They were still preparing. I felt that Elvin really had this special thing about him that attracts people to him. I smiled at the change in our status from being students to being teachers.

Almost got lost in my thoughts. Then 1305 got ready and invited us in. Music was being played. The atmosphere was so different. The music coupled with the attention of 25 students, with a cake in the middle, candles being eaten away by an aerial flame. Now that I think about it, it feels like when I was reading about Cinderella: the moment when she stepped past the granduer doors into the ballroom grand palace to attend the dance held by the Royal Family.

Elvin had his camera ready. Then something caught my eye. A placard with a yellow bikini on it. Or specifically a yellow polka dot bikini made from colored paper and padded with toilet paper. There were many placards. The class rep announced that today 4 people will be leaving the class and another 3 are having their birthday.

I knew immediately that the placard with the yellow polka dot bikini was meant for me. That was totally unexpected. I had not taught the class long enough to deserve such a beautiful gift. I know the bikini was made in good natured jest and I was actually grateful for their attention and effort.... to be continued

No comments: