nothing could aptly describe. no one can rightly challenge. no soul could seemly defy. welcome to my world. where i make the rules and you stick by them.

About Me

Standing by, All the way. Here to help you through your day. Holding you up, When you are weak, Helping you find what it is you seek. Catching your tears, When you cry. Pulling you through when the tide is high. Absorbing your voice When you talk. Standing by when you learn to walk. Just being there, Through thick and thin, All just to say, you are my friend.

Monday, January 08, 2007

there are a few cynical girls out there

It was in a lobby corridor when a friend mentioned to me a faux pas of his. He has been good friends with this girl for a while. It is generally widely known that she carries a torch for him. Either he is deliberately trying to avoid that fact or, well, he is a normal guy. He treats her well, as a good friend, without any intentions otherwise. There is a certain advantage having an opposite sex as good friends, sometimes even best friends. They can offer you a certain perspective you would never have taken in a million years, and might not heed even after you know about it. Nevertheless you know. They have good taste in fashion or if they dont, then just learn from their mistakes. It is often easier to talk to someone if there is no ego clashes.But the question is how do you maintain a platonic friendship? So it is the usual story of girl liking the guy and he likes another girl. So far the plot is typical, you can find that in most taiwanese drama. Then comes the harsh reality. Well in order to confuse everyone and so I may absolve myself of all blame, the girl's name is Mandy and my friend is John. Mandy naturally got a huge disappointment that John is not reciprocating her admirations. Worse is the fact that John likes another girl while all the time he is still going out with Mandy. As friends of course, but that never really occured to her. Some girls will argue that it is wrong for John to falsely lead mandy along but he did not point a gun at her at any time right? Love is blind. Not only so, it is dumb and deaf as well. Not to mention that it turns your brain into jelly. Anyway back to Mandy's responses. She turned ashen and never really did a good job in hiding her sadness. It was on her birthday she received the news, told to her by an expectant John who just wanted to share his happiness. I guess it was an indirect rejection. I really hope Mandy does not read my blog. So from sadness she turned bitter and finally a cynical and sarcastic girl emerged from that experience. She tries to pretend that everything was alright, especially in front of all their friends. Yet her remarks and statements to John became caustic and always with a sting attached. John found that talking to her became a chore, something that he dreads. It is no longer the docile and agrreeable and approval seeking Mandy. It would really take a sharp person to pick that up, and to all their friends nothing seems out of order. I hope you can imagine how tiring it is sometimes for John to have to endure these meaningless acidic undercurrent. Not that he cares. But sometimes he wonders how much more spiteful and childish can Mandy get. I couldn't sympathize with him more or rather I empathize more with him. If I am not in such a lumbering mood, I might turn philosophical and analyse the nature of humans with the above example. How we get defensive and our protective mechanism sets in. Regardless if the injury is physical or emotional. ANd how sometimes going offensive just means there is something to hide and to distract attention from. But too bad I am falling asleep right in front of the computer. I certainly hope someone out there who reads my blog reads this entry. Someone in specific and be reminded that apart from a rare rambling such issues do not come to my mind and when I told my friend about my seemingly similar experience, we had a really good laugh. I am tempted to continue writing but certain things are better said when left unsaid.

No comments: